How To Become A Morning Person

8:07 AM


Hey, hey! So I wanted to talk about something major that I've been trying to change in my life and that's becoming more of a morning person. I know, I know, who in their right mind would want to be a morning person!? All of my life, I've never really been a morning person, and that's not for lack of trying. I've always wanted to be someone who could get up with the sun and take on the world, whom I made add, is mostly still asleep. But, when it comes down to it, I'm all about snoozing until ten and lounging around until twelve. The more I thought about it though, the more I wanted to break this bad habit. I have a lot of goals that I want to accomplish this coming school year, and waking up in the middle of the day just wont cut it. I want to make the most of the day light hours, and this may just be the mini quarter-life crisis that I'm currently experiencing talking, but I feel like a lot of my day is wasted sleeping when I could be out exploring the city and creating experiences for myself. Not to mention all of the healthy benefits that come along with getting up early, exercising, and eating a good breakfast. Here are a couple of things that have helped me become more of an early riser. 


1.) Believe that you can be a morning person. 

I always hear people saying, "I'm not a morning person," as if it were part of their biological makeup. If you tell yourself something enough times it becomes your reality. Think of the phrase "I'm not a morning person" as less of a personal characteristic and more as a practiced preference. Trying telling yourself that you are a morning person and watch how your actions will slowly start to form around your story.  


2.) Have a good reason to get out of bed. 

Ever notice how you're never able to sleep when you have an exciting event or experience planned for the next day. Your goal should be to make every day feel like that! Try to do something that you love every day, even if it's something as simple as reading another chapter in your favorite book, get excited about it! The best feeling in the world is waking up and being excited to take on the new day! 


3.) Choose your alarm time wisely. 

I think it's really important to be realistic with yourself when setting your alarm for the morning. Make sure that you're getting the appropriate amount of sleep every night based on the time that you go to sleep. Don't expect yourself to want to wake up at five in the morning when you're staying up until one. 

4.) Don't set multiple alarms

When you set multiple alarms, it's very easy to fall into the bad habit of snoozing them. One, you're missing out on what you had planned for your day and two, it's not good for you to press the snooze button. It may feel like you're getting extra sleep in between each alarm, but you actually aren't. The amount of  time between each alarm isn't enough time to fully complete a sleep cycle. You're teasing your body by falling in and out of sleep which can ultimately make you feel more tired and groggy when you finally do decide to get out of bed. 


5.) Go to bed earlier.

Going to bed earlier is probably the hardest obstacle that I've faced so far. I just feel so much more productive in the late hours of the night and ever since I started college it has kind of just become my routine. As of recently I've read several studies that show that individuals who go to bed early and wake up early are healthier than those who go to bed late and wake up late, and I can totally see this reflected in my own health. That is why I'm trying so hard to break this bad habit while it's still young!

6.) Be kind to yourself.

Every now and then I think it's okay to let yourself have a little lie in. Don't push yourself so hard all at once, especially if you're trying to break a habit that you've had for some time now. Be patient with yourself and take small steps to achieve your big goal. 

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I'm a morning person myself, but these are great tips for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe